HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATIONS APPRENTICESHIP
REGISTRATION FOR H.E.O. APPRENTICESHIP CURRENTLY CLOSED
Please provide minimum qualifications (#1 and #2) and supporting documents (#3) before the end of the application period you intend to apply.
- Provide proof of at least 18 years of age
- Provide proof of high school graduation or GED equivalency
- Submit documentation for points for ranking placement:
- Points are awarded for: valid drivers license, CDL, military, Americorp, Peace corp, vista, vocational training, education, work experience documented on company letterhead, completion of BOLI approved pre-apprenticeship and interview score.
- IF SELECTED: Attend 1/2 day of orientation and 5 days of jumpstart (unpaid training)
Heavy Equipment Operators control construction equipment such as heavy-duty trucks, cranes, bulldozers, pavers, rollers, trench excavators and many other kinds of equipment used in constructing buildings, dams, airports and highways.
LENGTH OF APPRENTICESHIP
Classroom Hours: A minimum of 160 hours per year for 4 years
On-the-Job Training: 8,000 hours (approx. 4 years)
The work is outdoors and varied, depending on the weather. Bad weather can shut down jobs and generally, the machinery is not operated in heavy snow or rain. Apprentices are sometimes required to commute long distances or to relocate for a few weeks or months to obtain employment. Apprentices must be flexible and adaptable to different environments, job sites and requirements.
Apprenticeship applicants must be at least 18 years of age. In addition, they must provide proof of high school graduation or general education development (GED) equivalent.
*Wage data taken as a sample from PWR Handbook. Effective 2019.
SPONSORS & PARTNERS
Special thanks to the following companies for helping to support our Heavy Equipment Operations Apprenticeship Program:
- K&E Excavating
- MEI Construction
- Slayden Construction
- Star Rental
- Peterson CAT
- Bobcat of Portland